Thursday, May 31, 2007

K-LOVE

How many of you ever listen to the Christian radio station K-love? I only started listening about two months ago, in early April, but I've fallen completely in love with it. It's pretty much become the only radio station I ever listen to.

Odd, really. Before, I could never get into the newer, more modern Christian songs--what I suppose would be called contemporary Christian. However, I've found that there are some really very good songs out now-a-day. "So Long Self", "Shine", "Hold Fast", "Every Time I Breathe", "The Breakfast Song", "Give Me Words to Speak"... the list could go on and on. I'll be perfectly honest here, I think there are better Christian songs coming out today than there are songs of any other genre. At least I'm beginning to think that way.

I wonder how many people are actually saved, at least to some extent, because of the influence of listening to stations like K-love. I've been battling out a lot of stressful and frustrating things in my life lately, and I'll admit that listening to these songs has held me together, calmed me down, picked up me, and drawn me closer to the Lord. Whatever made me start listening, I'm glad I did. Maybe I just needed some good ole music in my life again. I don't really tend to listen to music very regularly--the mood to do so usually comes in spurts--but I know I'll definitely continue listening to K-love.

Do any of you ever listen? Let me know some of your favorite songs.

5 comments:

allends said...

Hi Brandon,

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself and being encouraged by the lyrics of those songs. I'm still pretty much in love with old hymns lyrics. The theology in those songs is very powerful and so they encourage my heart very much. One of the songs I sing and love [all the time, working out, taking showers, washing dishes..] is 'Because He lives'. I guess it's pretty old, but the words are powerful and it really got me going through the day.

I hope you're well. Keep it up!
Beast.

Brendon said...

Imagine that!

Beast, you caugt me to the punch. I had aimed on adding to my post a little bit about my like for the older hymns (it was an after thought today on the way home), but I suppose it'll do here in the comments section.

I'm like you, some of the older hymns are wonderful. Here's a few I can't help but go about periodically humming/whistling/singing: "The Family of God", "He Lives", "He Keeps Me Singing", "I'll Fly Away", "At Calvary", "In the Garden", and "Old Time Religion" (which I heard from the movie Sergeant York). All of these are really great songs, and are some of my all time favorites.

I am doing some better now, Beast. Thank you for asking. I hope you are doing well also.

God bless.
Brandon

Pomoprophet said...

Ive listened to Klove on and off for years. I still find alot of Christian music cheezy but it is getting better. Its funny some of those songs you listed (breakfast, shine) have been out for decades! lol...

Klove has its place. It can be encouraging to people so i'm glad you've found it!

Brendon said...

I'll agree with you, Pomo. In the past, I've found a lot of the more contemporary Christian songs to be a little cheezy sounding. That's why I never really bothered to listen to any of them. But it seems as though they actually are putting out some really good ones now-a-day. And I'm sure some from the past always were good. I never knew that Breakfast and Shine were older songs. I'd never heard them until recently. Just goes to show how out of touch I've been.

Regardless, it seems as though music--for the first time in my life--has helped to lift me up. I've been really enjoying music lately.

Unknown said...

There is a K-Love station here in the Sacramento California area. Is this a syndicated station or a chain radio station that exists all over the country? Or are you listening on satellite or the internet? I'm a bit out of touch with the CCM scene. The primary Christian artists I listen to are Fernando Ortega, Michael Card, Phil Keaggy, Matthew Ward, John M. Talbot and Keith Green. But these are guys who have been around for a LONG time. I was talking to some young guys the other day about what Christian bands they listened to and they rattled off a long list. I didn't recognize a single one.