Thursday, April 23, 2009

Give Me Your Voice and I'll Lend You My Ear

I thought seriously about continuing the poll, but I think I’ve decided against it. I’d rather get actual conversations as opposed to yes or no type answers.

One of the things I’ve had on my mind lately is my childhood. I don’t know why, but I keep reflecting back on all sorts of things. The other day I literally made a list of some of my favorite childhood movies. Afterwards, I watched a few of them and realized some might actually still be considered favorites. I’ve also thought about times when I was in elementary school. These memories have been good ones. They’ve not been bad. I’m not saying that all of my time in school was pleasant, but just that I’ve had the good memories on my mind.

I don’t know why, but I feel sort of an odd calm about life. I think that by reflecting back on the good times of my younger days, I’ve sort of been reminded of simpler times. And that’s made me yearn for that again.

I think people can take on too much work in their lives sometimes. I know I’m guilty of this. I try to do way too many projects all at once and then when I’m absolutely stretched for time, I feel like falling to pieces.

Life can sometimes be so complicated. And I keep asking myself why that is? I think, for the most part, we all complicate things for ourselves. Maybe that’s due to our misunderstandings or over-analytical personalities—who knows—but I think whenever our lives become overly complicated, we need to sit back for a moment, take a deep breath, and slow down. If we don’t, it will just cause us all sorts of problems (fatigue, frustrations, anger, strained relationships, etc.).

So, here’s what I’d like to know: Is your life too complicated? If so, what things do you allow complicate it? And what can you do to uncomplicated your life? How do you ease up some of the stress of life? Let me know what you think.

Anyone wanting to comment is welcome to do so.

Later! :)

2 comments:

jennypo said...

My life gets way too complicated. It seems like I never learn, and always get caught up in trying to do more, to be more, to get where I'm "supposed to" be by now. (Sez who? I don't know.) I often find myself trying to engineer the life I've designed for myself, and it is TOO HARD.

When I find myself lost in the whirl of trying to be, I remember a story I heard a long time ago about a man who complained to God, "Look, I've followed you and done your work, and here I am a soldier of the cross in the front line of your battle and you've left me stranded. This isn't the way things are supposed to be." And God answered, "You're not a soldier; you're a sheep." The story is longer and cuter than that, but it's that last line that plays over in my head when I'm feeling overwhelmed. Then I remember that my job is not to serve, but to worship - and there's nothing wrong with taking the whole mess to my Father and dumping it in his lap and then crawling up there myself for a little comfort and maybe even a little discipline.

The fruit of the Spirit is self-control. I'm always struggling to get this fruit the hard way, but God's Spirit is the only One that can produce it. I just need to remember that no one is asking me to do or to become; only to let God be all that He can be to me.

I needed to remember this today, Brandon. I've been giving place to the Accuser lately, letting him point out all of my weakness and un-loveableness.
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 7:24-5)

Brendon said...

I like that story. I think it runs true of myself (trying to be a soldier when I need to be more focused on worship). I think it could also be said that a lot of Christians are so often so preoccupied on fighting for what's right, that we can forget to do what is right.

Try not to let the accuser get you down. Remember that's not how God feels about you.

I enjoyed your response, Jennypo. :)