Thursday, December 19, 2013

Duck Dynasty Star, Phil Robertson, In Trouble for Stating Long Held Christian Belief--the World Comes to an End!


Since when is it wrong for a person to express their religious beliefs?  Since when does everyone HAVE to believe that gay sex is okay and should be promoted?  Since when was expressing beliefs from right out of the Bible considered bashing or hateful, particularly when those beliefs are expressed without any sign of malice or hatred?  He said he thought straight sex was better than gay sex.  Maybe he was a bit more graphic than he needed to be, I’ll grant that, but well, gee golly, let’s just go crucify him for stating what at least 90% of the world’s male population thinks.  I personally am kind of turned off by straight sex.  If I said penis was better than vagina (as many a gay men openly have) would that mean that I’m straight bashing?  If I said that those straight people who are sexually immoral, who commit adultery and the like, will not inherit the kingdom of God, because that is what a particular passage or two in the Bible, which I believe in, tells me, would that mean that I’m being hateful, bashing, ignorant, and just a low down dirty individual?  Would I, again, be straight bashing?  I don’t think so.  It’s just me expressing a particular belief.  If you happen to disagree with it, so what?
 
I am so sick of this politically correct attitude we’ve developed in this country.  It seems to me that we’ve gotten to a point where no one is allowed to say or think anything unless it fits some particular narrative.  Anyone who doesn’t have the one size fits all mental capacity of a Common Core vegetable must therefore be eliminated and disposed of.  Yes, they must be bashed for having their own unique views on things and casted out of society.  What kind of a world is that?  I mean, have we seriously become Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia?  Have we seriously drifted into a political climate where everyone has to say and think and believe in and do the exact same things in virtually every regard?
 
I suppose what really stung out of his comments the most was his belief that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God.  Well, if you’re a Bible believing Christian, then, yes, you are going to have this belief.  Did anyone out there seriously not know that Phil Robertson was a Bible believing Christian?  I mean, the man carries his Bible around with him throughout half the episodes of the show and virtually every time he appears publically.  And, guess what, the Bible does state that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God.  Oh, wow, was this really something that all us gays out there haven’t known of millenniums now?
 
You know what gay community, I AM GAY TOO, and I personally am sick to death of so many of you, particularly those in media, entertainment, and/or politics, acting as though the world owes you something.  I am so sick of you acting as though everyone should have to believe exactly as you believe.  You all, when you act that way, become the monsters.  YOU become the intolerant, the haters, the bashers, the mean ones.
 
All I want is to be left to live my life as I see fit.  Phil Robertson, did not say or do anything that would impede upon that ability.  As far as I’m concerned, he can say and think and do as he likes.  I may not agree with him on every issue, but who out there do I agree with 100% of the time on all issues?  No one.  And since when are my beliefs, or anyone else’s beliefs, more important than another’s?  Since when is the opinion of the gay community more important than anyone else’s?  As far as I’m concerned it’s not.  Everyone should have the right to be heard and treated with equal dignity and respect.  Just because Phil Robertson stated a particular belief, which is far from extreme within the Christian community, doesn’t mean he was going after you or trying to hate on you, or anything else like that.
 
You want to know what true gay bashing looks like.  It’d be a little more something like this:
 
“Gays are just completely disgusting!  I don’t want anything to do with them.  They’re gonna burn in hell and I hope they burn good.  Every last one of them should be picked up and carried off the planet so we don’t have to look at them anymore.  God hates fags!  If some queer comes around me, I’m gonna punch him right in the face.  Any son or daughter of mine better not be gay; if they are, I’ll beat the crap out of them.”
 
That, ladies and gentlemen, is true gay bashing.  Phil Robertson’s comments don’t even come close to any of that.
 
So, my advice to GLAAD and all the other organizations out there wanting to do their own bashing right now for their own political purposes… get the hell over yourselves, back off, and realize you’re not doing the world any favors by becoming what you claim to hate—just a bunch of intolerant, hate mongers. Your beliefs are not the only beliefs out there, and nor should they ever be the only beliefs available to the world.
 
I may not agree with Phil Robertson on everything, but by God, I’ll defend his rights to say and believe as he so chooses in the faith to the very end.

8 comments:

naturgesetz said...

You're right and you've said it very well. Your advice to GLAAD nailed it: "realize you’re not doing the world any favors by becoming what you claim to hate—just a bunch of intolerant, hate mongers."

Brendon said...

Thanks, N. I was hoping I'd make some sort of sense out of this. :)

Norm! said...

As a gay Christian, doesn't it bother you a bit that when asked What, in your mind, is sinful?, his response was:

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there..."

He wasn't prompted to speak-out on homosexuality and he could have cited any other more common sins such as greed, lust, premarital sex, divorce, famine, obesity, war, etc. Instead he targeted your community.

More strangely, he pondered:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Don't feel a little annoyed that someone reduced your relationship and feelings down to a specific sex act?

This guy works in the entertainment business. He was savvy enough to stay out the headlines this far, so I sure he knows his comments would attract attention and he could feign himself to be a persecuted Christian.

He hasn't been censored and is free to spout his bizarre sexual fascinations. Gay and gay rights supporters also have the freedom to tell commercial entertainment firms that what offends us. What really annoys conservative Christians is the loss of their clout and ability to use gays as their rallying cause because God forbid conservative Christians actually focus on their own issues.

Brendon said...

Norm, whether or not his comments bother me, or whether or not I disagree or agree with him, isn't relevant whatsoever. That's the whole politically correct bs I was getting at. Heaven forbid anyone should ever say or do anything that should ever offend anyone--even if the offense wasn't intended.

What bothers me is how quickly so many have been willing to throw him under the bus, and basically for stating something that mainstream Christians have believed and promoted for centuries now.

Why did he say homosexuality first, and to branch out from there? Well, hasn't homosexuality greatly become acceptable here in the last few years? Most Christians still believe homosexual relationships are sinful, so seeing how greatly it has become accepted in the last few years, I'm sure that does lead them to believe that sin, in general, is becoming more acceptable. Homosexuality, drug use, divorce... the list could go on and on, but he picked perhaps the most noteworthy of them to comment on. That doesn't bother me at all. I myself still question if it is sinful. I've spent the last several years questioning this.

But he did not only point out homosexuality. Finish the quote. He also said, "Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.” He was talking about sexual immorality altogether. You can't just take one part of what he said out of context and make it out like he was singling out something when he wasn't. And, you know what, sexual immorality is a big problem today. Divorce, adultery, sex out of marriage, are all big issues today. Our culture today, to me, just seems way too hyper sexualized. But I think that was what he was getting at. I take his comments to mean that he thinks we've moved as a culture toward accepting sin. He pointed out homosexuality as an example. Simple as that.

You honestly believe he wanted to do something so he could claim he was being persecuted against? I don't buy that. Not even for a second. I think he made a remark about sin, something that the vast majority of Christians still believe, and he's getting crapped on now from people who can't stand that people still believe as he does. He doesn't tote the line that homosexuality is okay, so that must mean that he is a horrible person...

Brendon said...

As for your last paragraph, I'll defend Phil and other Christians, because I've been on that bitter end of being called every nasty name in the book by people who absolutely want nothing at all to do with Christians and who would love for nothing better than for all of us just to no longer exist. Rather than trying to understand what Christians are talking about, they'd rather judge us and throw us under the bus at every chance they get. They twist our words around, as Phil's was, in my opinion, to try to prove that we're ignorant or hateful, or whatever such nonsense as that. Look what you did. You only used part of what he said and framed an argument that he was only going after gays. But when you use the whole quote, keeping everything in context, you see he also mentioned people sleeping around and bestiality as well. You and others discredit yourselves when you do that kind of crap. You prove your own intolerance and your own political agendas, not to mention dishonesty. That's why I'll defend Phil. I may not fully agree with him, but I can listen and consider exactly what he said and know that his heart is in the right place here. Even in his apology he talked about sexual immorality and admitted to being a part of that in years past. Doesn't any of that give you a second thought about him? And as for focusing on our own issues, Christians do focus on this. You do know that the church is leaning more and more also to accepting homosexuality, divorce, promiscuity, and the like, don't you? Christians themselves make up one of the biggest groups of divorced people. Young Christians everyday, including those like myself, face sexual temptations all the time. Why not talk about it?

As for GLAAD and those other groups talking out against Phil, of course they have that right. I just wish they'd do it honestly and without the intentions of wanting to destroy those they disagree with. Why don't THEY reach out in love and kindness and set the right example, if that is what they think Phil didn't do? Why won't they ever be the ones to do that? Why is there always some political agenda attached to it? That's what bothers me. A man who is truly trying to live the faith, I believe, gets dumped on for trying to warn people about sin. That's what I see from this story.

Brendon said...

Here's what I don't get. The media and others keep reporting that he made "anti-gay remarks" and calling him a bigot and hater and all that jazz, but where is that in his comments? I don't see it. He wasn't name calling homosexuals or putting them down or anything like that at all. He was asked about sin and he said he thought homosexual acts were sinful. And he was quoting the Bible when he said they wouldn't inherit the kingdom of God. I mean, I've said far worse on this blog, as a gay man, questioning whether or not homosexual acts are sinful. Does that make me a gay bashing bigot though? Far from it.

What this whole thing really points out to me is that there are a whole lot of people out there who don't want anyone saying homosexuality is a sin and using the bible as a referrence for that thought because they disagree with it. Anyone who doesn't believe as they do, gets the boot. That's why A&E bowed down to pressure from pro gay groups by suspending Phil. He said the unmentionable, so now we've got to shut him up and get him off the airwaves. That, too, bothers me.

Anonymous said...

Brandon,
I appreciate your search for truth and your commitment to whatever that reveals. I am proud of you!

Brendon said...

Thank you, whoever you are. :)